Tuesday 15 May 2012

DAY ONE:

It’s hard to believe that I finally made it to Cape Town, just the fact that I’m actually in Africa…AFRICA… is still feels surreal. It is only the first day on the trip and I already feel as though I have shocked by what i have accomplished. I never would have imagined that I would travel across the country, with multiple layovers, without a chaperone or some type of leader telling me what to do or where to go. I am genuinely surprised I didn’t get on the wrong plane! It was certainly an adventure. Our first connection led us to Frankfurt, Germany. And the food selection was just as bad as I remembered it from years ago, and we were stuck there for 12 hours! After not having slept on the nine-hour plan ride, I passed out in one of the chairs outside the terminal. Finally, we boarded the plane to Johannesburg. We actually had to board the plane from the tarmac, which is something I have never done before and was oddly excited about, and ten hours later, we were in South Africa!! One more short layover and connecting flight and we landed in Cape Town. I had never been so happy to be on solid ground and out of the airport! Collecting my four bags (yes I had the biggest/most suitcases of all…typical) from baggage claim was a struggle but somehow all my belongings and myself made it on the Global LEAD buses. We had not been driving five seconds before the city surrounding me captivated my attention. The view of the city’s landmark, Table Mountain, was breathtaking! I can’t wait until we get to hike to the top; I’m sure the view is to die for. We also drove past numerous slums and areas clearly stricken with poverty. You see it in the movies and hear about it on the news, but seeing it in person really had an affect on me. Not only did I feel so sad for the children we passed bathing in dirty puddles, but I felt immensely blessed for the life I have been able to live and where I was able to grow up. I don’t think I will ever forget the sight of the little boys, bathing in mud pits, yet so clearly happy and splashing around playing with each other. Not much further down the road we passed the largest mall in the southeastern hemisphere. The change in the level of wealth in the areas was extremely visible and signified by a huge wall that surrounded the mall and separated its contents from the slums across the street. And finally, exhausted, we made it to our apartments, which are literally right on the beach! They are awesome!!! We went to this Greek restaurant just down the street called Zorbas. While it wasn’t typical South African cuisine it was delicious…and that is saying a lot considering i am very picky with foreign looking/sounding foods. I had this Greek pasta with olives and feta and spinach in a sun dried tomato cream sauce! As usual, I was extremely skeptical of it at first, but our waiter convinced me to give it a chance and it ended up being so good! I am still trying to get accustomed to the exchange rate here so paying the bill was a bit of a struggle to say the least, especially because they don’t split checks. Erin and I finally met one of our other two roommates, Casey, who came on the later flight and she is so sweet! Our last roommate is actually from South Africa so she is staying with family tonight and is moving in tomorrow. And with my directional skills it will certainly be nice having someone that knows the ins and outs of the city! Tomorrow we have orientation for our classes and our first tour of the city! We have to wake up at the crack of dawn aka 7 am, but I am so beyond excited to begin exploring Cape Town!
Where I'll be living for the next five weeks!!

And the view...


No comments:

Post a Comment