Tuesday 29 May 2012

DAY SEVENTEEN:

Even the freezing rain could not take the smile off my face today. Seriously. These kids are beyond amazing!!!!! We had class this morning but it was more of a discussion than a lecture. We basically just all got to vent about our first experiences in Sir Lowery's Pass. Everyone had such contrasting views on the township and the people of Sir Lowery's. Honestly, I found it really difficult to accept the perspectives of some people. I guess I just don't understand how everyone couldn't love all the amazing people we have the opportunity to interact with. I feel like they're focusing on the negatives and the differences between our lifestyles. After we all reflected on our first day, we broke up into our discussion groups and talked about this article we could read called "Should We Help Them?" This turned into another heated debate! Everyone has such different views that it gets very controversial. Basically, the article just pointed out how what we perceive as help and service can actually disrupt the community and leave the people worse off. While in some cases I can see how this has truth, I strongly feel that all service is built with the best intentions. I don't know I just really struggled with today's lesson for some reason. But anyways, after class we got to back into Sir Lowery's and play with all the children in the community. Instead of just meeting our families, all the children of the township were invited to come to the community center and we had crafts and music and dancing. It was SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUNNNNNN!!! From the time I got off the bus, this little girl (like I'm talking maybe two) latched onto me and wouldn't let me put her down all day!! My arms are going to be sore tomorrow haha. It just really amazes me how educated these children are. They are so polite and have such amazing social skills. They can start a conversation with me so easily and I feel as though I am talking to someone my age from my lifestyle. I got to talk to Duncan again today. He is so funny! He was telling us how he can't bring his girlfriend home to meet his mom cause there are just too many of them, it would take too much time haha. What a player! He told me that he liked my tennis shoes and has been trying to convince his mom to get some, so needless to say, I will be giving them to her at the end of the trip haha (sorry mom)! Once again, the worse part of the day for me is leaving. the kids. The feeling I get every time I am there is indescribable. It doesn't matter what my day is like, how I feel, what's going on in my life, anything. I feel blissfully happy surrounded by them, no matter what. The ride home for the township today really gave me time to think about my experiences in the township. One thing that really upset me is the number of children that are below the age of 5 and are wandering the streets alone. Or the number of 7-10 year olds that are holding their infant siblings cause their parents are gone. And furthermore, think for a second about why the children are so quick to attach themselves to us. Why do they want us to hold them and love them so badly? How are they so quick to say I love you to a complete stranger? Is it because they don't receive the same type of love and affection at home? Are they not loved, held, talked to? I don't know but it breaks my heart to think about. And now that I'm crying while writing this, let's move on...After we left the township, I went to Wang Thai for dinner with my roommates. Seriously so good!! Mom you would love it!! Well off to shower; there were way to many hands playing in my hair today but I loved all of them!! One little girl even got one of my loose hairs caught on her hand and was so intrigued by how long it was so started pulling some of my hair out. People kept asking me why I was letting her do it, why not?? She's laughing and happy, so I'm happy. End of story. I wish my family could come here and see and feel what I do cause I'm not describing it right. The experience for me is just too massive to adequately put into words. All I can say is I love them! (but y'all already knew I would). 

She never left me ALL DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment