Tuesday 5 June 2012

DAY TWENTY FOUR:

This week is flying by!!! I wish I could make it all slow down! Today was a bit more relaxing than yesterday. We didn't have class this morning until 10:30... winning!! I really needed the sleep! This morning in class we discussed our experiences on Robben Island from yesterday. We analyzed the leadership stances of all the parties involved in the production of Robben Island today. After the lesson lesson was over, Joanna began talking with us about obstacles. We learned how it was important to take an obstacle in your life, no matter how big or insignificant, and "flip" it, turn the negative into a positive, into a goal. It was kinda an emotional lesson, people shared stories of friends or loved ones who overcame obstacles, people who inspired them. Joanna even cried, and when I see people cry, especially those of authority, well... it's all downhill from there. After class, we had the rest of the afternoon off. I decided to go on a tour of the World Cup Stadium (known by the locals as the toilet bowl...cause it kinda looks like one. The shape I mean). It was cold and rainy today, so I almost bailed on the tour, but I am so glad I went. We got to go like behind the scenes; it was awesome! The stadium itself is so much smaller than I expected. It seats 58,000 people comfortably, but 65,000 were crammed in for the World Cup. Sanford Stadium holds 92,476 and that's just a college stadium. This was for The WORLD CUP?! The stadium is so nice though. It was built specifically for the soccer championship and cost approximately 600 million dollars... DOLLARS, not rand. That is unreal! Today it is used for a variety of sporting events; you can even get married there! We got to go into the locker rooms and walk out on the field or track... cause we could only touch the grass with our hands, we couldn't step on the grass haha. We got to go into the VIP boxes were ambassadors and presidents watch the game. These spectators are so important that there is bullet proof glass outside the box and a separate room for the body guards. Our guide told us that we were in the same box that Prince Harry and William watched the games in... pretty cool!! This stadium even has a jail, like a legit jail!! Multiple cells and everything... this place is maximum security! This has been my second time in two days that I have gone to jail. Not a good record!! Our final stop was the press room, we go to sit in in the chairs where multiple famous soccer players had previously sat, and as a group of majority girls, we were all pretty excited. Cristiano Ronaldo anybody?? After our tour of the stadium, we came back to the hotel to make dinner. Wait for it.... we made pasta!!! Shocker! I am never going to want pasta again after this trip haha. After dinner, I had to do my homework. I even did it like five days in advance, so I better not get another damn B minus!! Erin and I are about to have movie night... Wedding Crashers. Classic.


PS. My birthday is in two days ahhhhh!! This is the first time that I have actually not been excited for my birthday! I don't want to be 19. I LOVED LOVED LOVED 18!!!! I'm only in my teens and I am already dreading birthdays....uh oh.

Map of the stadium and our lovely tour guide. He was the first person to tell us he liked our southern accents... I think he's the only one in Africa haha!


The roof of the stadium is only partial buuuut.... you can WALK on it. Uh cool!!

VIP box! Helloooo Prince Harry

They do not mess around here

Locker room! Each locker even has its own safe!

Showers...

Where the players walk out onto the field.

On the field!!!

Our press conference! We are so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment