Sunday 3 June 2012

DAY TWENTY TWO:

Today was another lazy Sunday but it was exactly what I needed after a late night out in good ole Stellenbosch. We had to check out of the hostel at 10 o'clock, but the bus wasn't picking us back up again until 1, so we had some free time to explore the town. There were so many of us that we had to split into littler groups to really go anywhere. My group went to this amazing place for breakfast. I had an "open croissant," with ham and mozzarella and tomatoes. It was so yummy! And the first time since I've been here that I have had any kind of sandwich meat haha. After breakfast we walked around the streets downtown because it was such a beautiful day! Almost hot I would say! Before we had to head back to the hostel to meet to board the bus, we all stopped at this bakery and got gelato. LOVE love love gelato! We need to have more gelato places in America because it seems to be popular everywhere else and it is SOOO much better than ice cream with wayyy cooler spoons too! I get the chocolate chip one every time. It's actually called something else that starts with an S and ends in "ella" but I can never pronounce it haha. Pretty much slept the entire way back to Cape Town. I was so dead from the night before, and I didn't sleep very well in the hostel beds. I was on the top bunk and these were seriously the highest lofted beds I have ever seen. And of course, I got the bunk in the middle of the room... the only one that didn't have any sort of wall next to it. All I could think of all night was falling off the bed, so I tried to stay still in the exact middle of the mattress, which did not make for a good night's sleep to say the least. When we got back to the hotel, I continued my nap until about 6 0'clock haha. My "nap" was longer than the sleep I had all night! But, it was much needed. We have a busy week this week, as if that is shocking haha. After my extended nap, we had our big group Sunday dinner at the beach house we have class in. It was another cookout/braai, so of course everything was delicious. There was chicken, sausage, ribs, potatoes, bread, and salads galore! And, this yummy warm chocolate cake and ice cream! After dinner, we came back to the room for a chill night to catch up on some blogs (like this one), email, Facebook, Skype... you know trying to stay somewhat connected to life outside of my Global LEAD bubble haha. It's hard cause my bubble is so fun!! And then my relaxing, fun day took a turn when we got our grades for the third week.... I got a B minus... Seriously?!?! I have never gotten a B in my life, nevertheless a B minus...In a study abroad class... on leadership!!! AHHH so annoying! Erin says it's because of my strengths. Evidently my strengths are includer, compassion, positivity, empathy, and adaptability. Whereas hers are like achiever, discipline, responsibility, and focus. I hate to say it but in the end I would rather have my strengths! I know in my heart that I am getting far more out of this experience... outside of class... than any letter grade could show. I just wish it wouldn't go into my GPA right when I am trying to apply to Grady. Oh well.... :(

PS Shout out to Bevin... I'm convinced she is dead or kidnapped or all of Newnan lost access to technology.... which wouldn't be all that surprising.
Downtown Stellenbosch aka the Athens of Africa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment