Monday 11 June 2012

DAY TWENTY NINE:

My days are getting so mixed up!! After four days off, I was so confused when my alarm went off for class... on Sunday of all days!! But this class was definitely worthwhile. We all loaded the buses and made our way to Cape of Good Hope. On the way we stopped at this place called Chapman's Bay, which, as usual, was breathtakingly beautiful. We were only there for a few minutes, to take pictures and absorb the amazing view. Then, it was back on the bus to finish the journey to Cape of Good Hope... or Hoop in Afrikaans... be impressed haha. We found out on the bus that Cape of Good Hope is actually not the southern-most tip of Africa as it is commonly known as. It is the southern most point of the Western coast though. I was kinda bummed about this though, not gonna lie. It's fine I'm still going to tell everyone that I went to the southern-most point...sounds cooler. Once we got to the Cape, it was a mad rush to take pictures of the sign. And, of course we had to take an enormous group picture haha. We are such tourists! Then, we had a while to explore the cape and climb on all the cliffs overlooking the shore. So beautiful... you really do feel like you are on top of the world here, or on the bottom I guess... I don't know. It was just gave me a really empowered feeling. After we all took our pictures...selfies included...we left the Cape of Good Hope and ventured to Cape Point just up the road, where we had lunch. While it had another unbelievable view, I was not a fan of the wild baboons that roamed around the grounds, and cafe!  Go ahead and add baboon to the list of animals I am irrationally terrified of... so far we have ostrich and baboons. But really, these things are frightening. There are workers that patrol the area with giant sticks juuuuust in case a wild baboon attacks you. One girl in our group was chased by own and was instructed to through her bag of chips at it. Needless to say, I ate on the bus. After we left Cape Point, we stopped by Boulder Beach, home of the African Penguin. That's right, Africa has penguins...that live on the beach. SO COOL! It was like real life happy feet. They are adorable!!!! Chelsey would have died of their cuteness. They are so little and just wobble around on their little feet ahhh so cute!! When we got home, we went out onto the beach outside our room and watched the sunset. I swear Africa has the best sunsets!! I crossed this little wave pool thing to go out on a sand bar to take pictures... the water was freezing!!!! The things I do to try and capture even a fraction of the beauty I see first hand. Erin and I were going to cook dinner when we got back but when we opened our bag of uncooked pasta, there were bugs in... yes bugs!!! I do not do bugs. So of course I didn't eat it and Erin did.... gross!!! I had humus and pita and then was convinced to go out... on a Sunday.... when in Africa!! The bars were PACKED!!! Africans are crazy I tell ya. I tried limoncello for the first time and now I'm kinda curious about Mr. Natalino's.... We went to Camps Bay to this outdoor restaurant that turns into a bar at night. It was pretty cool. We ended up meeting these guys that were in the VIP section and from Georgia. Goes without saying that it was a good night from then on haha. So unbelievably sad that this is the start of my last week here. It has truly been the best month!!

Chapman's Bay



We made it to the coast!!!!
RUNNNNNNNN!!!
Slightly alarming...sorry chelsey! 
SO CUTE!!

LOOK AT ALL OF THEM AND THEIR CUTENESS!!






No comments:

Post a Comment